Wednesday, May 28th and Thursday, May 29th, 2014
Create an action plan that will improve your ROI while reducing risk exposure. Develop a tailored captive strategy regardless of your risk exposure.
Construct a robust enterprise risk management strategy to combat previously unknown risks with insights from experienced captive owners and managers. Shore up your insurance program, and secure your organization's bottom line:
Achieve 10 solutions from Canada's leaders in captive and corporate insurance!
- Utilize captives to mitigate new risk exposures
- Achieve lower costs and increased revenue
- Extract more value from a captive through a more flexible program
- Navigate emerging tax implications to mitigate costs and avoid sanctions
- Adapt to emerging risks with a captive program to lower your risk exposure
- Capitalize on new fronting options to lower your risks and reduce costs
- Fortify your ERM strategies to mitigate organizational risks
- Bolster governance programs to manage captive risks more effectively
- Exploit group captives and maximize the benefits to mid-sized companies
- Deliver higher returns on your captive to build capital while reducing risk
An American perspective highlighting use of a captive insurance company for Canadian businesses, groups, pools, entities, associations, and producers with potential loss and liability exposure from operations and exports to the US. Discussion of a variety of purposes of using a captive insurance company to treat these exposures and an overview for Canadians as to the process of determining whether a captive would make economic sense.
Choosing a domicile: onshore vs. offshore
The benefits of locating onshore:
- A captive domiciled onshore is a domestic insurer for Canadian tax. Offshore captives may be subject to federal excise tax (10% of premiums) on Canadian risks
- Lower costs for audit and legal fees, travel, and management in BC
- No tax risk or tax governance issues associated with offshore structure
- Valuable executive time is not required for meetings offshore for tax purposes
The benefits of locating offshore:
- Greater regulatory flexibility. Offshore captives usually allow lower minimum capital requirements and may not require regulatory examinations
- Taxes on income are negligible
- Can offer coverages not offered onshore, i.e. certain third party risks
- Greater flexibility to adapt to changing market conditions.